The Final (Fantasy) Products! Check out more images in the Gallery shot by Joann Lee In order to create the desired two-toned, steel effect for both of our Buster Swords, we set out on an extensive testing period to cover all our bases. Experimenting upon familiar and unfamiliar materials, we were not only able to refine the "chroming" process we commonly use on our projects, but we also created a nuanced reference library of test pieces to go to for upcoming projects, savin
My journey is almost to an end! To round out the remaining aspects of my final "look," I decided on the following format since none of these pieces had enough information for individual posts. It was during this time where I pleasantly surprised myself with a craftiness and handiness side, an aspect of myself I do not normally access when I 3D model. It was educational and straight up fun to find solutions in a new way! All the links to anything I pruchased/discuss will be
After the unfortunate plating disappointment, my brain was fried; what now? This is the most significant part of my entire costume, and with less than two months till Game Day, I still had no clue what I was doing! As I drove back from the plater’s, I knew that by the end of the day I needed a solution. After brainstorming and web-surfing with Dhemerae, we concluded that some sort of chrome painting kit would best fit my price and time constraints. Though nervous to try a b
Early chrome dreams through the lense of a finger-printed computer screen After putting it off for a multitude of reasons (I wanted to see what the prints looked like in person, I had no idea what color to use, etc.), I was at the last absolute point to address the humongous elephant looming over my shoulder; getting this armor chromed! This process was completely new for me, simultaneously nerve-wracking and exciting. The Mission I wanted to make sure that however I painted
After three long modeling months, it is finally time to make this thing a reality in our world! It is time to print! To refresh, I produced all of the rigid pieces of the armor on a ProJet 7000 SLA 3D printer. A machine that prints in an ivory polypropaline based resin, the material is a close counterpart to commercial plastic. Its rigidity, durability, and smooth surface was ideal for any remaining painting and finishing; it also prints complex detail beautifully, which c
Long time, no CCC post, but I am finally back! I wanted to change up my entry format for this round, and go through how my armor was constructed, step by step. Since the armbands were done using the same process, I will only show the breastplate, mostly because it is a bit more impactful in photos. Sprinkled throughout this piece will also be tutorial-esque asides on how to do some of what I did in zBrush! Also, my apologies for not using more images of my armor in-progress;
Disclaimer: Thanks to the LaGuardia Studio for providing access to several of the 3D scanners mentioned in this post. ***This post has been updated as of March 2017 It is quite difficult to provide an introduction paragraph for a technology whose scope is as wide and deep as 3D scanning! As you will read in this primer to the process, 3D scanning provides opportunities to make feats in a number of fields that were once impossible possible, more accurate, and more versatile.